Breast & Ovarian Risk Clinic
Appointments can be made by physician or self-referral.Meet the Experts
Call 734-764-0107; or use our appointment request form.
Sofia Merajver, M.D., Ph.D.
Mark Pearlman, M.D.
The Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk Evaluation Clinic provides an accurate assessment of personal risk for developing breast and other related cancers, education regarding availability of genetic testing and current research programs, and a plan for follow-up and preventive care.
What to Expect
Prior to the Consultation
Before the initial clinic visit, the patient completes questionnaires to assess health history, breast and gynecologic care practices, family history and other risk factors. In addition, she or he is asked to indicate areas of greatest concern, so the session will meet personal needs.
During the Consultation
The clinic session generally consists of:
- Presentation and review of family history, highlighting cancer occurrence
- Education in basic genetic principles as applied to breast and ovarian cancer
- Presentation of known cancer risk factors
- Frank discussion of individualized risk based on family history and other factors
- Instruction in proper breast self-examination technique
- Discussion of behaviors thought to diminish and increase risk of various cancers
- Education regarding availability of genetic testing and current research programs
- Presentation of an individualized plan of follow-up care
- Recommendations with respect to lifestyle issues
Following the Consultation
After the consultation, the referring physician is informed by letter that the consultation has taken place and provided with the recommendations for continuing care. In addition, each client is sent a confidential summary letter that reviews personal risk factors, an estimation of lifetime risk, guidelines for follow-up care and an overview of factors thought to minimize or accentuate the risk of developing cancer.
Still have questions?
Please call the Cancer AnswerLine at 1-800-865-1125 or 734-764-0107, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.