Research at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Research efforts at the Cancer Center move from investigations in a laboratory setting to charting discoveries with the help of patient. The process of moving research from the lab to the patient is called Translational Research and it is the cornerstone of the Cancer Center's research efforts. One area of interest for this type of research is in Immunotherapy. Another is Precision Medicine.
Core Grant Research Programs
An important component of being a National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated Comprehensive Cancer Center is our commitment to research. The only way to eradicate cancer is through innovation and collaboration between scientists and clinicians.
We organize our research efforts around the following programs:
- Cancer Control and Population Sciences - Director: Bhramar Mukherjee, Ph.D.
- Cancer Epidemiology & Prevention - Co-Leaders: Leigh Pearce, Ph.D. + TBA
- Health Behaviors & Outcomes - Co-Leaders: Steven Katz, M.D., M.P.H. / Sarah Hawley, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- Clinical Science Division - Clinical Director: TBA; Translational Director: Moshe Talpaz, M.D.
- Translational & Clinical Research – Co-Leaders: Larry Baker, D.O. / Randy Ten Haken, Ph.D. / Muneesh Tewari, M.D., Ph.D.
- Basic Science Division - Director: Eric Fearon, M.D., Ph.D.
- Tumor Immunology & Transplantation Biology – Co-Leaders: Pavan Reddy, M.D. / Weiping Zou, M.D., Ph.D.
- Cancer Genetics – Co-Leaders: David Beer, Ph.D. / Kathy Cho, M.D.
- Cancer Biology – Co-Leaders: Anj Dlugosz, M.D. / Marina Pasca Di Magliano, Ph.D.
- Developmental Therapeutics – Co-Leaders: Shaomeng Wang, Ph.D. / Judy Leopold, Ph.D.
Our cancer center has also been awarded three Specialized Programs of Research Excellence by the National Cancer Institute. These grants involve both basic and clinical/applied research focusing on prevention, early detection, diagnosis and treatment of human cancers.
Because of a dedication to discovery, our patients benefit from the latest therapies - often before they are available anywhere else.