For families struggling with a cancer diagnosis, the practical aspects of treatment often are stressful and distracting. The Practical Assistance Center provides support and services at this crucial time.
In partnership with the U-M Department of Social Work Guest Assistance Program and Cancer Center Business Services, the Practical Assistance Center can help patients navigate the often complex logistics involved in cancer care.
Resources may be available to qualified patients for:
- Other unforeseen needs
The Practical Assistance Center also helps connect patients to resources within the U-M Health System, such as:
- Clinic social workers
- Financial Services, which handles billing concerns and payment programs, and
- Patient & Visitor Accommodations, which helps families find lodging in the Ann Arbor area.
Searching for help on your own can be draining and time consuming. The Practical Assistance Center can help.
Our patients often require assistance that goes beyond what the university can provide. In those cases, the center helps patients find community resources to meet their needs. Patients may qualify for assistance from cancer-specific organizations or other charitable foundations.
The Practical Assistance Center's staff is well-versed in what types of support are available and how patients can access it. Staff members help patients cut through red tape by helping to complete forms and obtain necessary signatures from care providers.
Contact the center by calling 877-907-0859; or visit the center on Level 1 of the Cancer Center.
The Practical Assistance Center is offered by the U-M Comprehensive Cancer Center Patient & Family Support Services Program. Every donation directed to PFSS helps ensure that it can continue its mission to reduce the burdens of cancer for all patients and their families.
Read patient stories and get tips on financial assistance and other practical matters
- Handling the Logistics: Practical Assistance Center offers patients practical resources
- Paying for Cancer: One couple finds U-M financial resources for cancer-related expenses during hard times
- Deductions 101: Finding your allowable medical expense deductions at tax time
- Resources for Financial Assistance for Patients and their Families