Why Give to the University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center?
Today, 4 in 10 people will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. Facing cancer oneself, or supporting a loved one with cancer, is a life-altering experience that underscores just how precious life is.
Clinicians and scientists at the University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center have dedicated their careers to delivering the highest quality cutting-edge care to patients, uncovering new treatment strategies, and training the next generation. Through our focus on team science and research excellence, we aim to be a national leader in prevention, early diagnosis, optimal treatment and survivorship care for those at risk of or affected by cancer.
Cancer has often been regarded as a single problem to solve, which has mistakenly led the public to believe that a universal cure is possible. However, the fact is, cancer is not one, but hundreds to thousands of diseases.
Research advances have yielded dramatic improvements in cancer treatment, rendering some cancers much more like a chronic, managed disease. However, “cure” remains a loaded word for patients, clinicians and scientists.
In reality, patients’ diagnoses mark them in one way or another -- whether it’s body image after surgery, lingering side effects of chemotherapy, or the psychological fear associated with the possible return of their disease. What individuals affected by cancer need is to be able to move forward after a diagnosis and live their lives the way they would normally live them. That is what guides us.
On our mission to reduce the burden of cancer and improve outcomes, the UMCCC is committed to bettering the health and well-being of people who have -- or are at risk of getting -- cancer:
- Through research in prevention and early detection
- By developing new and better treatments
- By training the next generation of cancer researchers, physicians and health care providers
We are doing this by:
- Harnessing the power of one of the largest, most robust and highly esteemed research universities in the world to create new knowledge about cancer
- Working collaboratively in teams, across disciplines, to define which discoveries have the greatest potential to effectively prevent, diagnose and treat cancer
- Developing and applying the most promising discoveries in our clinics, the community and beyond
Together, we can ensure that families affected by cancer have the hope and outcomes that they deserve. Become a victor for cancer research.
If you would like to make a donation by phone or if you have any other questions, please contact Gift Finance & Handling: 734-998-7705.